Sunday, May 30, 2010

The med school workout



My eyes open. Theres still sleep left in me, but the day must start. I rub my eyes, and roll off the bed landing on the floor, catching myself with my palms. I lay still. AAA I think, do i have to do it. I do this everyday so i have some leeway to skip it today. Why should i do it everyday? I'm hungry. I could be making some eggs, add some cereal and toast some of my favorite raison bread. Yes that sounds like a plan. I catch myself. Whoa. Almost psyched myself out there. eh. I think of the nike slogan.




Just do it!




I push down on the floor, lifting myself up. Thats one. Thats two... three... four... 300... aaaaaaaa. Yes. done. Well, not yet, but I'm in the mood now. I roll onto my back I do my crunches. Then I do two more sets of the above. I feel good now.




I stand up. Stretch a little. I punch the air lounging at an imaginary opponent. My punches flow out in a certain rhythm. Straight, straight, cross, hook. I mix in some kicks. Then I go into my Wing chun forms. I slowly do Siu lum Tao, and then chum kiu... I've not advanced enough to do the Biu jee but I'm fine with just these.




I look at the clock its an hour since I started. I'm wide awake and ready for the day.




While studying Molecular cellular biology, my brain saturated with info. An idea hit me. Studying is just like a workout... Just a work out for the brain. The more you work out the better you get, the more you practice the more things are recalled with little effort. Everything flows. And just like working out, you have the nagging voices in your head telling you to skip work today for numerous silly reasons. You can't conquer those voices, but you can ignore them. The best way is to do the nike slogan.




Just do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment