Wednesday, January 13, 2010

The helpful upperclassman phenomenon

First of all, sorry I've not updated in a while; I am still waiting get internet set up in my apartment. A lot has happened since I last updated: 1) I am the SGA (the auc student board) representative together with another one of my classmates; 2) I have done my first dissection on a human cadaver; 3) I have made it through my first week of classes; 4) continuously tweaking my study technique.



Still, all that isn't the reason for this post. Its just a teaser for the things to come. Onto today's blog. I have noticed something from the moment my feet touched Sint Maarten soil.

The upperclassmen are so helpful. Initially, I thought it was just something appointed upperclassmen were delegated to do, an obligation if you will. However, this continued way past orientation week, to now. Now, with orientation done first semesters are no longer anyone's obligation, since if they are still on the island after a week and a half they will probably stay. (not statistically proven so don't qoute me.)

They come up to us and give us advice on how to prepare for class. They point out little tendencies of professors. They share mistakes they made so we can learn from them. They point out the best places to go shopping, the best way to navigate this lovely island.

I'm not sure if this is the prevailing temperament in most other medical schools. However, I know i haven't experienced that kind of support during my high school years, during undergrad, and even when i was doing my masters.

I wondered why there is such an interest in making us succeed, in making us stay, in making us enjoy the island.

My conclusion is they want to first celebrate surviving their first year (for the second semesters) or surviving medical school till now. Second, Difficulty breeds camaraderie. Since we are all in this together, they want to give us a leg up so we can succeed just like they did.

I look forward to shedding light on medical school for anyone that comes after me...

1 comment:

  1. Kwasi, I'm looking forward to reading your blog. I am the Spouses Organization (SO) President, Laura A. The SO has a helpful board that has advice at: http://aucspouses.multiply.com/. You can also read about my adventures on the island at: http://theakers.wordpress.com. See you at future SGA meetings!

    ReplyDelete