Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Tips for the SOAP!!

I have been through 2 SOAPs and got interviews both times. Unfortunately, I did not match, as I had to apply again this year - which ended in me finally snagging a position, yay!!  I did some things wrong - lol, of course since I didn't get an offer- but I also did some things right. I will share with you some tips that will hopefully help you if you are applying for the SOAP.

Honestly, this post is a bit late since the SOAP started on Monday. People have already put in some of their applications. Also, the first round is probably over by now. However, there should still be round 2 and round 3.

The most important thing that you can do for the SOAP is to be prepared. You need to know everything about the Soap, how many programs you will be applying to, and in how many programs you will be applying to in each round, how many rounds there are, how long they last... blah blah blah. :)

The next thing that you need to keep in mind is that you can be called at any time. Therefore, you must be by your phone at all times. If you list your house phone -which is what I chose to do- you have to make sure you are home during the SOAP period. If you are not home make sure there is someone at home to relay your calls. For one of my interviews, I was tutoring 2 hours from home when I got a call from my house. "XYZ program called, I gave them your phone number. This is their number call them back." If you can stay at home.

This next point ties in with the second point above: be interview ready. I do not care if you are in the grocery store picking out some cabbages for some delicious stew at home, you are at work -if you are you have to let them know you might be picking up an important phone call ahead of time. You must be ready to pick up your phone - if they call your mobile phone- and get right into interview mode.

I was driving when I got one of my calls for SOAP last year. I picked up started going on. I could not pull over because I was on a High way. However, when I got off I pulled off to the side of the road and kept going. Unfortunately, I did not get the spot but hopefully you get my drift - hopefully.

Good luck everyone!!

Hope some of you get some good news!

No comments:

Post a Comment