Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Feelings post Match

After opening my email and seeing Congratulations -i did not read further- I was happy but yet blah. I was elated but still blah. Why?

I knew that I had given the application session my all. I knew that I had followed my plan to the T, and done everything that I believed will help me earn a spot. I knew I presented myself in a manner in which my interviewers got a good look into who I really was as a person. But I still felt blah.

Even though I did everything on my end, I the final decision was not up to me. I was in competition with thousands of applicants.

"We get 3000 - 4000 applications. Out of those we select about 80 people to interview. We only have 8 spots. Why should we choose you." This is the question one of my interviewers asked me.

Talk about competitive!

However, I made it now, so why did i feel blah? I was tired from thinking about it 24/7 and on top of that I was already thinking of the next step. So many times in life we do not sit down to appreciate what is going on around us in the moment. Our minds are always on the go. I was already thinking about preparing myself for residency so that I can hit the ground running.

I felt the same way when I passed my step 3.Right after getting my results and seeing that I passed I instantly started thinking of the next step, interviews. I was pissed that after such an accomplishment it seemed like I wasn't elated. I said this had to stop. I decided to slow down and appreciate the moment. I went out and bought myself a nice watch and went out to dinner to celebrate and boy did I feel great afterwards.

But one does not have to purchase something or reward oneself to become appreciative.  One can just sit with friends and family and take in the accomplishment. At the end of the night, as I sat with my folks talking and drinking champagne -i dont really drink so i had about 3 gulps- it finally hit me. Whoa. I did it. Whoa! I am going to get the opportunity to help patients be able to enjoy their lives by treating their ailments.

We talked about the ups and downs of the journey. We talked about the interview trail and my feedback. They were certain I would match this time, they said. Yayyyy! and it panned out.

But but but... ... ... I'm still buying myself a gift to mark the hard work and the result. Lol. Don't blame me i love watches. :) :)


Congrats to all that matched as well! Enjoy it you deserve it.



No comments:

Post a Comment