Tuesday, November 22, 2016

My Step 3 experience: Day 2

Thoughts:
I gave myself a 100% chance of failure.

Does anyone look at scenarios and calculate the probability that a certain result will occur? Not sure what you do, but I definitely do that. And my outlook through the second half of the exam was yp… I am definitely failing this test.

The Exam
Today, I took my second and final part of the two day exam, the beast known as Step 3. I described the first day in another post so I won’t go into that here. Let’s start with the length of the exam. It was longggggg (notice the extra g’s.) It was 9 hours long! I used almost every minute of it.
The night before I tossed and turned because I was sick. I couldn’t stay asleep. The first thing on my mind was that I would have a problem with the stamina for the exam. But, surprisingly, that was not the case.

Rather, walking into the exam center, first thing I did was use the bathroom with ease. Lol. One must be free before battle. I then took a huge swig. Actually… multiple swigs of my monster energy drink. Then I took on my first block.

I ended up finishing almost two monsters for the entire exam. I pulled through stamina wise. I did not lose energy. I did not get tired. That was a good thing.

Now the content of the second day. The second day is divided into mcq and ccs. There are 6 blocks of mcq. For me each block was 30 q long and 45 min in length. Whilst doing the mcq I was holding on to the hope that I just might pass. I saw a glimmer of light. However, when I hit ccs blocks that light got dimmer. 

After each ccs block, I had a mini mental fight with my negative voices. You missed this. You missed that. By the end of the exam, the negative voices had me thoroughly convinced that failure was a 100% probability.

Why did I think I failed? In my first ccs case, while I treated the patient appropriately I did not do some of the routine counseling, like counseling on smoking cessation etc. Also, one of my patients actually seemed to get worse with the treatment that I instituted, and then when I advanced the clock and the case ended. In retrospect, after running through the cases in my mind, I believe that I treated the patient appropriately. But, and that’s a big but, I can’t be sure because the cases just seemed to end abruptly.

Now, hours after the exam, after speaking to friends, running ccs cases and mcq’s through my mind, and reading about others experiences online a sliver of hope rose again that I just might pass. 3 weeks of torture.

Pass or fail. It is something that I have to deal with.

Update:
My friend told whenever I feel like I failed an exam I usually do well. He was right! I passed!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment