Tuesday, February 7, 2017

What is this ICE that people keep failing?


If you peruse the CS forums, you will run across people that have failed the CS. The heading will read along these lines: “help, Failed the ICE part of my CS.” Posters will then try to give advice and explain what ICE is. What I have found is that most people do not understand what ICE is. Their explanations are only partially correct. I will share with you my journey with the CS and what ICE is.  

If you are just getting ready to take the CS, you are probably reading through CS overviews. On reading CS overviews you will come across what I like to call the different grading sections. If you are like me you were probably thinking what are these things? What is CIS? What is ICE? What is SEP? Trust me you are not alone in that regard. In this post I will only focus on what ICE. Why?  Because I said so. Lol.

Talking about failing the CS is a matter that hits very close to home because I myself failed the CS on my first attempt. After failing, I decided that I would not let anyone else I know fail this exam. I started to help others pass the exam. Fortunately for me, everyone I have tutored has passed the exam.

Now you are probably asking yourself, how could this fine, awesome gentleman fail the CS? Oo, the “fine, gentleman” part is just in my head. Toche!! Lol.

Why did I fail the exam? Basically, I didn’t study for it the right way. I assumed I barely needed to study for this exam because it is what we do in clinic all the time. Its not an easy exam. If you go into it not preparing for it in the right way you will find it to be a very hard exam.

After I failed, I had to refocus my energies. I researched the whole exam. I came across a way to study for the exam so that I would pass anywhere - doesn’t matter what state- I go. I prepared for it a second time and then I took the exam and passed it. After passing it, I have used this method to help others pass the exam. Everyone I have tutored till now has passed the exam.

In my research about the exam, to make sure I was adequately prepared to pass the next time, I made sure I completely understood what ICE and the other sections are.

If you ask most people what they think ICE is they will shrug their shoulders. If you ask people that have taken certain review courses they will tell you it is the Physical exam. These are both wrong. First of how dare you shrug your shoulders. Lol. Jk. But seriously, ICE is not the simply the physical exam.

What is ICE then? ICE is, simply put, DATA Gathering and Data interpretation. It is the part of the exam where you gather information and document it. What does this entail? Data gathering is both getting the information from 1) your history taking and 2) your physical exam. Data interpretations is basically noting your information on your patient note. Therefore, if you only focus on one aspect of ICE data from physical exam you can fail the exam.

Be careful. You do not want to fail an exam because things are very competitive now. A failure can be the difference between getting an interview or not. Without an interview you CAN’T match.
I want you all to pass the exam. 

If you have any questions ask me. If you live in NYC and you want me to work with you live send me an email (step2csbuddy@gmail.com) or call the number in my bio. The company I work for Step 2 CS Buddy, LLC (step2csbuddy.com) is offering a 50% discount for the next two weeks so call now.

Lastly, if you find this helpful and you want to share my article do not forget to add a reference link so people can get more good information.  

Like, subscribe and share for more posts.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Next articleHaving a Hard Time Matching. Who is to blame?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------


One of the biggest mistakes people make that leads to failure in the CS. 

No comments:

Post a Comment