Sunday, January 14, 2018

2018 Reading list: 3 books in the bag

I loove love love books. I love to read. But problem is time, where is the time to read. With busy residency I come home exhausted and too tired to pick up a book. Of course some months are better than others. I'm currently on a two weeks staycation - vacation spent at home and in my city- and I'm enjoying just relaxing. Up till now I've read 3 books two for fun and one to work on a skill.

1) The House of God by Samuel Shed: This details the ordeals of a intern in a hospital called the House of God. Its true depiction of life as an intern, sharing not only what happens to the interns, how they react to it, but also how they feel emotionally and physically. After 6 months in my intern year I can say there are quite a few things that I saw happened to me as well. I did not agree with some of the protagonists -the authors- conclusions. Still its a great book if you want to get an insight as to how Intern year is.
2) Speed Reading: How to double (or triple) your reading speed in just 1 hour!  by Justin Hamond: This book was a quick read. I always wanted to improve my reading speed. I thought the book was short and to the point. While I do not think my reading speed improved in 1 hour I think I with practicing the tips in the book will rev up my reading speed.
3) Pimp, the story of my life - by Iceberg Slim: I first heard about this book while watching a Dave Chapelle skit. An ex pimp looks back on his life and gives vivid details of the horrific things he did to others or that were done him. It reads like a movie. At the end of this book I question whether these events really happened because some of these things seemed so inordinate, or extraordinary or outlandish.


I have already read 3 of the 6 books that I plan on reading this year.

4 comments:

  1. Hey,
    about match, I k now this is no relevance to this post, but close to ranking- did you contact programs that you were interested in? thank you cards? email? to let them know "hey its ranking time, just want to let you know that I'm thinking of you" or something like that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only sent one email and that was to the program I ranked number 1. It doesn't hurt to send out emails of that is what you want to do to as many as programs as you want.

      Delete
    2. just make sure it is one ranking email, not 2 or 3, per each program you decide to email. You got the interview already there is no reason to be pushy.

      Delete
  2. Hey,

    Thank you! and my best with everything for you so far

    ReplyDelete