Monday, April 3, 2017

Memories from 2017 interview season


After going on a few of my interviews I wrote down my thoughts on how things will go. In this post I will share with you what I wrote at that day, 1/24/2017; I will also share something that should give you a better chance of matching next season if you did not match this season, or even if you are applying for the first time. 

First, here is what I wrote on 1/24/17.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Snap shot of my residency application till now:

“I like you and I will rank you.” I was shocked. I did not know how to respond. I’m sure I mumbled something after the program director said this. This application season I have 5 interviews. I have gone on 4 and have one more remaining, coming up this Thursday. Today, I want to have a quick snap shot of how things have been going so far.

Last season, I had 3 interviews during the regular match. I also had 3 soap interviews. Whoa, yes. The closest thing I got to an indication that one program was interested in me was “don’t forget to rank your programs” from one of the programs, and enthusiastic responses to my thank you notes from a program in the south.

This year has been different. I planned out my year to get more interviews and I did – 2 more. Of my 5 interviews I received clear indications of interest from 3 programs.

I still ask myself, do these mean anything since a program might like you and rank you but still not rank you in the safe zone. If this happens you will not match. Therefore, I am still hesitant to be elated by what they said. That said, it is a step in the right direction.


All that’s left is to wait and see. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

As we all know, I ended up matching so the "I'll rank you" refrain meant something. Out of my 5 programs I received clear signs of interest from 4 of them. 

I am sharing this with you so that you learn the value of interviewing and interviewing well. The number of times that I have heard "I have only one interview but I wasn't ready for that question" baffles me. I mean sure at times there are questions that are meant to stump you, but for the basic questions that they all ask there is no excuse to not know how to respond to them. 

If you have to get help practicing for an interview get it. If you have to pay for that help pay for it. Find someone knowledgeable. I was lucky to have some good friends that helped me understand what questions to expect and what type of answer each question expected from me. 

Interviewing is a skill. Do not neglect it and solely depend on your scores and your resume. Remember residency programs do not want a resume they want a person that will work well in their program. If you are that person make sure you let that shine through during your interview!


--------------------------------------------------------------
Advertisement:

PASS YOUR CS IN ONE ATTEMPT. You will gain confidence in handling the patient encounters as well as in writing your patient notes. Call 1-844-850-5248 
--------------------------------------------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment