Tuesday, January 3, 2017

The year 2016 in review

written 12/29/2016
The year 2016 in review:

2016 has been a year of ups and downs. The main down happened on March 2016. Also, there were other things I choose to partake in and do because I enjoyed doing them. I have listed the main things that I was involved in. I will talk about how these things had an impact on me and my choices.

The match:

The most significant thing to happen is the residency match of 2016. Unfortunately, for me it was not good news. I did not match, which means I did not get a hospital to continue my training in. Becoming a doctor is my dream so I cast my lot in this up coming match and I applied. I got a few interviews to some very good programs. I will keep my fingers crossed and pray that the next match has better fortune for me.

The clinic:

I started working in a clinic in November of 2015. I have enjoyed volunteering there weekly. I have been exposed to a variety of conditions, from mild to severe. To me, maintaining patient contact is important because 1) I enjoy working with patients and 2) exposure to medicine after graduating from medical school is important in keeping ones medical knowledge sharp.

The books:

To be honest I tried to take on the new challenge of reading one book a week. I failed miserably! However, I am still satisfied with what I went through. I completed about 12 books- counting of the top of my head. There could be one or two more that I am forgetting at the moment.

12 books comes to about 1 book a month which is decent. However, if you take into account that I started doing so after april -when i first formed this resolution- it is even more impressive.
The goal for next year is to see if I can beat that.

Public Speaking.

In april I signed up for toastmasters, an international public speaking club where you get the opportunity improve on our communication skills as well as your leadership skills. I have completed the first manual, the competent communicator, 2 times. Once for each of the clubs that I am a part of.

The competent communicator is the first manual that you have to complete. Completion depends of giving 10 speeches. As such, I have given more than 20 speeches this year since April. I gave my speeches at the club level, so in front of a small group.

In 2017, I am hoping to start giving speeches to larger crowds, and possibly out of the toastmasters environment as a professional public speaker. I am thinking of speaking in High Schools. For now its just a thought. We will see how it goes.


Overall, 2016 has been a good year. My family and friends are in good health. I got into a car accident and did not get hurt. My cars is messed up but that meh. Being a pedestrian isn’t so bad.

In 2017, my goal is to match into a good residency program, to give a speech in front of a high school students, make more youtube videos, compete in the World championship of public speaking, and give you readers more value by blogging about the standardized exams that Medical students and Residents face.


Here's to a wonderful 2017. 

No comments:

Post a Comment