Wednesday, November 6, 2013

A case during my allergy rotations...

With my stethoscope around my neck, wearing my short white coat, screaming medical student to anyone aware but apparently not so to patients, I called in my patient a recently born baby girl with possible allergies. At that time I was rotating at an allergy clinic in Bronx lebanon, a time I would describe as educative and fulfilling. I liked the level of responsibility that was permitted me. My attending took the time to review topics with me. It was great, he was great. I got to practice all the techniques I wanted and got to visualize many physical examination findings that I had read about but never seen prior. Also, being called doctor after I had previously informed them that I was a medical student made my head swell. But all of this is not what I wanted to talk about.

So there was a 3 month baby brought by her mother in for an evaluation of possible allergy. The story was right after receiving her 2 month old vaccinations she had an episode of syncope. As per mother patient started crying after being vaccinated and then syncopized. No rash, difficulty swallowing, dyspnea, or fever was present. She was kept for observation in the ER for a few hours and then allowed to go home. There was no recurrence of this syncope. The question i pose to you readers is what would be in your differential diagnoses for this patient???

answer next week.


Vine.

No comments:

Post a Comment